Saturday 6 June 2020

Songs for Suffering - Psalm 6

The first telephone used by The Samaritans, on display at St Stephen Walbrook, where the organisation began

How long?
Time
Stops.
Life & love leached through red eyes.
Drained from my nose.
And even that's clear - nothing of substance!
Suffocating in my swollen face.
The cracked voice of a broken body gives
One
Last
Hoarse
Cry.

Save me.

What changed?
He listened.

(A paraphrase of Psalm 6)

During the lockdown, I have been slowly reading a book by a tutor at my college, which has been written to help us find a deeper connection to God during the toughest times in our lives by using the Psalms as a pattern for prayer.


In Chapter 1 of "Songs for Suffering - Praying the Psalms in Times of Trouble," Simon Stocks explains that ‘praising God at all times and in all places’ doesn’t mean we can’t lament. “Expressing bad feelings to God is not a faith less thing to do it is a faithful thing to do.” He begins the book by sketching out some of the things that can happen to us when we feel really awful. It can be hard to open up at these times - not only to other people but, in prayer, to God too. Often we feel cut off and out of our depth, like we are suffocating or drowning - imagery we encounter in many of the psalms. Simon's website contains images by Amy Perry which respond to each of the ten chapters in "Songs of Suffering". In ‘Storm At Sea’ her painting accompanying the first chapter, we look out through a vortex of stormy seas and swirling clouds towards ominous black rocks. The light of the sun - or is it the full moon? - is milky and weak.

Psalm 6 is the prayer of someone in great distress. It is a prayer that transcends time; we move from terror and anguish to contentment in ten short verses. But what has really changed? Their circumstances? Their situation? There is no evidence to suggest either of those is any different. But what we do know is that they realised that someone had listened. The Lord heard this prayer.

The psalmist gives graphic detail about how their emotional state has affected them physically. At first, their cry of “O Lord—how long?” seems to go unanswered. But we read later that “the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping” which means all the “workers of evil” can “depart from me”. It is not clear if these dark forces are external or internal - a mental anguish or a physical threat. But perhaps that doesn’t matter - the knowledge of being heard is what helps us overcome both.

The Samaritans were founded at my home church, St Stephen Walbrook, by Chad Varah in November 1953. It is said that in the early days of the organisation, Chad Varah lived in a room in the church tower, so as never to miss a phone call. He wanted everyone who called the Samaritans to be heard. The work of the Samaritans continues to show that the knowledge of being heard by someone can be life saving.

Psalm 6 reminds us that God's love for us runs even deeper than the depths of our most harrowing moments. No matter how dark life seems, the transforming power of God's love can be heard by all who have ears to listen.

My poem, inspired by Psalm 6, is above.



Links

Simon's website Songs for Suffering – Artwork – Cry Hard
Find out more about the history of the Samaritans, founded at St Stephen Walbrook, here. 
Samaritans - St Stephen Walbrook



Psalm 6

Prayer for Recovery from Grave Illness

To the leader: with stringed instruments; according to The Sheminith. A Psalm of David.


O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger,
   or discipline me in your wrath.
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
   O Lord, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror.
My soul also is struck with terror,
   while you, O Lord—how long?

Turn, O Lord, save my life;
   deliver me for the sake of your steadfast love.
For in death there is no remembrance of you;
   in Sheol who can give you praise?

I am weary with my moaning;
   every night I flood my bed with tears;
   I drench my couch with my weeping.
My eyes waste away because of grief;
   they grow weak because of all my foes.

Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
   for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;
   the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be ashamed and struck with terror;
   they shall turn back, and in a moment be put to shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon - Sing that Bittersweet Symphony

Marian Anderson by William H. Johnston, 1945 (Smithsonian Museum) A sermon given during Holy Communion (BCP) at St Giles-in-the-Fields on Su...